Propel yourself to the top of the nice list by making these holiday gluten-free vegan sandwich cookies! Easy to pull together and only 10 minutes to bake, you can have these cookies ready for Santa in less than 30 minutes! See the Allergy-Info & Substitutions section for more info and variations.
For me, Christmas should always involve two things: picturesque snow views outside my window and delicious moan-worthy vegan cookies. I usually get the cookies, but the snow…well, snow in December is one of those rare things that *close to never* happens in the south.
So I was more than surprised this past weekend, when dreams became a reality as a snowstorm crept up with a quickness, and dropped itself down without apology. Experiencing a massive hit of snow on a late Friday afternoon was enough to make me squeal, but waking up on Saturday morning to a stunning winter wonderland in my backyard???
I was over. the. moon. 😀 Or as Stimpy would say, “JOOOOOOOYYYY!”
And yes, I’m still allowed to have the same response as a 5 year old when I see snow. So there.
I’m also allowed to act like a 5 year old when I get snow AND cookies simultaneously.
And yes, I’m referring to these deliciously simple Gluten-Free Vegan Sandwich Cookies, which have been “hit by a truck load of mixed nuts” and squished with melted gooey marshmallows. Because what holiday would be complete without mixed nuts, the food AND the film!? #snowdayandamovie
If you’re a fan of “Mixed Nuts” the movie, then you’re in good company. It sure doesn’t feel like Christmas until I see Liev Schreiber dance with Steve Martin, Madeline Khan rap in an elevator, and Adam Sandler play the ukulele.
True, there are so many things for me to wonder Adam, but I got 99 problems and these cookies ain’t one.
So if you want to get into the holiday spirit and kick back with a few laughs, I highly recommend watching this movie while you enjoy a few stacks of these sandwich cookies! They only take about 15 minutes of active prep + 10 minutes bake time. Plus? There’s no shame when your treats are gluten-free + dairy-free + egg-free + peanut-free + cruelty-free!
I can only dream that the snow will come back in time for Christmas, but luckily, “in every pothole there is hope”, and I can still live it up with my cookie fix.
So from me to you, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Raising my glass to you and yours, with many thanks and blessings. Woot woot! ♥
How to Use These Sandwich Cookies:
- Wrap them up for easy holiday gifts for gluten-free vegan friends + family.
- Leave a generously filled plate out for Santa with a side of chocolate almond milk. *wink*
- EAT THEM LIKE THERE’S NO TOMORROW.
Allergy-Info & Substitutions
- These sandwich cookies are 100% vegan, meaning they are dairy-free and egg-free. They are also gluten-free and peanut-free.
- Make them soy-free when using Enjoy Life’s vegan chocolate chips and nixing the marshmallows.
- Can’t do nuts? Leave out the nuts completely or substitute with raisins or dried cranberries.
- Don’t want to do gluten-free? Just use unbleached all-purpose flour instead.
- For another delicious holiday cookie recipe, check out my Gluten-Free Vegan Pumpkin Cookies by clicking here.
Become a VEGAN NINJA in the kitchen.
Want to step up your vegan game? Just pop your email in the space below and I'll send you my complete email series on how to plan and prep vegan meals like a PRO. You'll also receive a FREE meal planning printable as a special thank you download, plus occasional future emails with easy vegan recipes!
Holiday GF Vegan Mixed Nuts + Marshmallow Sandwich Cookies
- 1/2 C unrefined coconut oil soft solid
- 1 C brown sugar
- 1/4 C unsweetened applesauce room temperature
- 2 C gluten-free flour I use Bob's Red Mill 1-to-1
- 1/4 C cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp pink salt
- 1/2 C dairy-free chocolate chips I use Enjoy Life!
- 1/2 C mixed nuts no peanuts, finely chopped
- Dandies Vegan Marshmallows minis (less than half a bag needed)
- Preheat oven to 350º. Cream together coconut oil, sugar, and applesauce in a stand mixer on low speed (or if by hand, using a medium mixing bowl and electric beaters).
- Add flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and pink salt; beat until combined well. Mixture should be wet and sticky- if it's crumbly or dry, add 1 Tbsp of applesauce. Stir in chocolate chips and mixed nuts, beat for 30 seconds.
- Spoon onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper. 1 Tbsp per cookie will give you approximately 50 mini cookies, totaling 25 sandwich cookies to finish.
- Bake 7 min and remove from oven. Top half of your cookies with 3 mini marshmallows each, and sandwich together with remaining cookies. I used a spatula to gently press down on each one, to help hold in place. Return trays to oven and bake an additional 3 minutes more. Enjoy!
I hope you get a chance to make these delicious sandwich cookies! If you do, make sure to tag me on Instagram @bohemian.vegan.kitchen, as well as your photo with #bohemianvegankitchen, so I can see your sweet creation!
Thank you for taking the time to invest in your heath and happiness!