VEGAN BACON BITS!!
If I could underline that and present you with a million star emojis, I would. This is serious biz after all.
Because giving up bacon bits when you go vegan is like a breakup you never thought would happen. No matter how good bacon bits taste on salads, baked potatoes, and straight out of the jar and into your mouth, once you go vegan, you see all the problems you never saw in the first place.
Like, it’s not you, it’s me type deal. Or wait, no actually it is you, because you’re made of pigs and nightmare fuel. #sorrynotsorry
But just because we don’t have bacon bits anymore, that doesn’t mean we can’t still enjoy the feeling of bacon bits.
Lo, I bring you these amazingly easy vegan bacon bits, that take literally 2 minutes to prep and 5 to bake. They’re smoky. They’re sweet. They’re spicy. And they are totally into long-term commitments.
Satisfy your craving with these fabulous vegan bacon bits
I know what you’re thinking. You’re thinking, “how could I possibly have bacon bits that are both vegan and easy to make?”
Patience my darling, patience.
You see, the key to making good vegan bacon bits, ones that satisfy that craving for bacon AND deliver on quick prep, is all in the seasoning.
I remember my favorite part about eating bacon bits was the smoky aftertaste you got when you dumped a palm-full of them into your mouth. Well, by using spices such as smoked paprika, with a little bit of smoke sauce and cayenne pepper for a little kick, you get a blend that totally WORKS.
Satisfying your taste buds and giving you all the feels.
Smoky roasted pecans are fabulous vegan bacon bits
What’s more is that these vegan bacon bits do not rely on textured veggie protein or eggplant or mushrooms or whatever else Pinterest tells you can be a replacement for bacon.
Because while all of them “technically” work, they don’t have that crunch that true bacon bits have. Which is why the only real candidate has to be pecans. Nuts, and specifically pecans, make excellent vegan bacon bits because they can be flavored and roasted easily in just a few short minutes.
You can use them on just about anything too and they taste absolutely AMAZING. Salads, vegetables, pasta, baked potatoes- even donuts work with these. And they all deliver big time on taste!
Did I mention they are CRAZY addictive too?
This week, take 5 minutes and make these simple vegan bacon bits….you can thank me later!
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the recipe card and, if you enjoy it, leave a comment. Thanks in advance!
Vegan Bacon Bits
- Preheat oven to 400° F (204° C). Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients and stir, until pecans are evenly coated with liquid and seasonings. If you want them to marinate in the sauce, let stand for 10-20 minutes. Otherwise, spread pecans on baking sheet.
- Pop in the oven and bake for about 5 minutes, or until the pecans start to sizzle and slightly brown. You'll know they are done when the maple syrup has caramelized and they become sticky! These are easy to overcook, so just keep a watchful eye. When finished, remove from oven and transfer back to small bowl. Serve over a baked potato, on top of potato soup, or as a healthy snack.
- Make these bits soy-free by omitting the tamari sauce, OR using coconut aminos instead.
- Increase the spice level by upping the cayenne pepper to ½ teaspoon.
- Want them sweeter for desserts? Up the maple syrup to 2 tablespoons and omit the tamari sauce.
- These vegan bacon bits will keep up to two weeks stored in the fridge in an airtight container.