For vegans, avocado is LIFE.
But in my pre-vegan days, I never looked twice at an avocado. I certainly wouldn’t have thought about spreading it on a tortilla.
You have to understand that my catalog of Mexican food at the time didn’t extend beyond chalupas from Taco Bell. And when you grow up thinking that a talking chihuahua will give you an accurate representation of food, your viewpoint is obviously skewed.
Thankfully, I was turned on to the glory that is homemade avocado quesadillas.
Yo quiero avocado quesadillas please…
From the moment that I tasted that first tortilla, smeared with guacamole and topped with juicy tomatoes and fire jalapeños, I was hooked. My next trip to the store, I loaded up on all the fixin’s.
I learned that day that eating healthy doesn’t have to be extravagant. I also got a crash course on how to pick out an avocado.
And when you get home only to realize that half your stock has gone brown, you curse the grocery store gods in a fiery rage. Or you just throw them away in defeat, whichever.
Now, I still enjoy the easiness of avocados on tortillas, or as we vegans like to call it: avocado quesadillas. Original, I know.
Avocado quesadillas are the gateway to vegan food
When I started eating avocado quesadillas, I wasn’t even vegetarian yet. It never even crossed my mind that I was enjoying a meatless meal.
Which is why I believe that avocado quesadillas are the gateway to easy vegan food.
All you need are tortillas, tomatoes, and good judgement when picking out avocados. Oh, and for the spice enthusiast, you want a jalapeño that pops.
One of the reasons I love avocado quesadillas is because they are easy to pack for on-the-go trips; with the addition of the lime you maintain that green color so you don’t end up with a rancid lunch.
And with preparation being a snap, this is the perfect meal to make for your kids lunches too, given that they are avocado enthusiasts.
However, a little cheese always helps, which is why I topped these quesadillas with this deliciously easy nacho cheese sauce.
Truly, avocado quesadillas are the no-brainer decision that will save your day. So what are you waiting for?
More avocado recipes:
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating in the recipe card and, if you enjoy it, leave a comment. Thanks in advance!
Easy Avocado Quesadillas
- 1 fresh avocado
- ½ fresh lime
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 vine-ripe tomato
- fresh jalapeno slices optional
- 1-2 flour tortillas
- cashew nacho cheese sauce optional
- fresh cilantro chopped
- In a small bowl, mash avocado with a fork. Squeeze lime juice into bowl (I've always done this by first inserting a fork into the sliced lime, then squeezing the lime while turning it clockwise around fork). Add cumin powder, salt, and pepper to your tastes. Next, slice tomatoes.
- To assemble, spread avocado mixture onto tortillas. Top with tomato slices and jalapenos (if using), fold over. Slice in half or quarters.
- You can also top these with cashew nacho cheese sauce if desired. Sprinkle with freshly chopped cilantro, if using. Serve immediately, OR double the recipe and divide these into meal prep containers for to-go lunches.
- For easier folding, warm tortillas in the oven or microwave before using.
- I enjoy serving these quesadillas with cashew nacho cheese, but you can substitute with the cheese of your choice.
- Serve these avocado quesadillas with this simple spicy salsa.
- I use these meal prep containers (affiliate) to for to-go lunches.