Vegan cornbread stuffing that’s also gluten-free!
Allergy-Info & Substitutions
- This cornbread stuffing is 100% vegan, meaning it is meat-free, egg-free, and dairy-free. It is also naturally refined sugar-free and gluten-free.
- Need this to be made nut-free? Swap out the almond milk for another plant-based milk of your choice.
- If you don’t want it to be gluten-free, you could always swap out the gluten-free flour for regular unbleached all-purpose baking flour.
- Want a little extra pop? Toss ½ C of dried cranberries in your skillet with the onions and celery for extra sweetness.
- For another gluten-free vegan Thanksgiving dish, check out my no-bake vegan pumpkin pie by clicking here.
- Want a good vegan Thanksgiving appetizer? Try my gluten-free cranberry vegan meatballs by clicking here.
I hope you enjoy this amazing vegan cornbread stuffing! Make sure to share your creation with me on Instagram by tagging me @bohemian.vegan.kitchen + using the hashtag #bohemianvegankitchen.
Gluten-Free Vegan Cornbread Stuffing
For the homemade cornbread:
- First make the cornbread: Preheat oven to 425°. In a medium mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients (that's the first 7 ingredients) and mix until combined. Add in the remaining wet ingredients and stir until combined well- you can do this by hand with a whisk or with electric beaters. Grease an 8 x 8 baking dish with a touch of oil (or vegan butter) and pour batter into dish. Personally, I like to line my baking dish with parchment paper for easy removal. Pop in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cornbread is slightly browned on top and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Once the cornbread is finished, remove from the oven and let cool on the counter for at least 20-30 minutes. In a large bowl, and using your hands, tear and crumble cornbread into bite sized pieces. Ideally, when making stuffing you want to leave out your bread overnight to dry out. This is totally optional! If you feel pressed for time, no worries! See the recipe notes below for more on this.
- Once you're ready to make the stuffing, preheat oven to 375°. Heat vegan butter in a large skillet. Add in onions and celery, and saute for 3-5 minutes. Stir in your broth and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat and then stir in your cornbread crumbles until all the bread has been coated with the broth. Next, grease a baking dish (I used a 9 inch oval) with canola oil OR vegan butter. Transfer your cornbread mixture to your baking dish and pop in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the top of the stuffing is a nice golden brown.
Thank you for taking the time to invest in your health and happiness!