Are you looking for a fast dairy-free cheese sauce? One that you can toss with some pasta or drizzle on top of broccoli, potatoes, tacos, or burritos?
Well, you’ve come to the right place! Step right this way please.
Because this is the BEST dairy-free cheese sauce ever. No soaking cashews. No boiling potatoes or steaming carrots. No nonsense. You can literally toss all of the ingredients in a saucepan and heat in less than 5 minutes.
First Published: June 23, 2016… Last Updated: March 22, 2021
A no-nonsense, all-purpose vegan cheese recipe
This recipe has been perfected and tweaked over the years by yours truly. Of course, the first time I made it, I winged it by using what I had on hand at the time. And it was such a success that I tried to repeat the process. This turned into experimenting with different variations and ingredients, which led me to crafting this deliciously yummy recipe at the bottom of this post.
One of the things I love about this recipe is that you can use it in a number of ways.
I’ve used it on just about everything– drizzling it on burritos and over a large plate of nachos, topping it on baked sweet potatoes and veggies, and stirring it into macaroni pasta. Mmmmmmmm.
The best part? It’s VERSATILE. I like mine EXTRA CHEESY, which is why I added two varieties of Daiya cheese. But if you want to take the minimalist approach, see my variations below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Despite what some may think, YES you can melt dairy-free (vegan) cheese, especially with the vegan cheese options available on the market today. Just cook your cheese sauce on a medium heat, and stir until melted through. I like using Daiya brand vegan cheese because it melts so well.
While I am not a nutritionist or a doctor, I believe that vegan cheese is healthier than regular cheese. True, it is a “processed food” but so is regular cheese if you think about it– it has to go through a process before it turns into shredded cheese.
Furthermore, vegan cheese is free from things such as “growth hormones, carcinogenic animal proteins, and cholesterol-boosting saturated animal fat,” making it healthier in my opinion.
Nope! For variations, check out the Allergy Information and Substitutions below.
Allergy Information and Substitutions
- This cheese sauce is 100% vegan, meaning it is dairy-free, egg-free, and meat-free. It is also naturally nut-free, gluten-free, and soy-free.
- Don’t want to use store-bought vegan cheese? Double up on the nutritional yeast and add a dash of onion powder, garlic powder, and ground turmeric. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Don’t like coconut? Swap it out for another dairy-free milk of choice, such as almond, oat, or soy.
- If you don’t have nutritional yeast on hand, it’s okay to skip it if you have plenty of dairy-free cheese shreds. I think the nutritional yeast just adds a touch of flavor + good-for-you ingredients such as vitamin B12.
- If you don’t have two types of vegan cheese, you can load up on just vegan cheddar cheese.
- For a Mexican-style cheese sauce, stir in some cumin powder and some diced tomatoes and/or roasted bell peppers and onions. You can also stir in some salsa for an extra kick. I’m drooling already. The choices are unlimited and always delicious!
Other vegan cheese recipes:
- This Easy Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce is the Bomb!
- I Love this Easy Vegan Parmesan Cheese!!!
- How to Make Perfect Bean and Cheese Vegan Chimichangas
- Healthy Vegan Mac and Cheese
How to make dairy-free cheese sauce in less than 5 minutes
What you’ll need (see the recipe box below for exact measurements).
- Full-fat coconut milk
- nutritional yeast
- Dairy-free cheese shreds (I use a mixture of cheddar and pepper jack)
- salt and pepper ( I use Himalayan pink salt)
1. Add all ingredients to a saucepan. Heat on medium heat for 3-5 minutes, until all the vegan cheese has melted.
2. Remove from heat. Toss with cooked pasta or steamed broccoli (or both!). You can also drizzle on tacos, nachos, sweet potatoes, russet potatoes, and more!
Yummy Dairy-Free Cheese Sauce in 5 Minutes
- Add all ingredients to a saucepan. Heat on medium heat for 3-5 minutes, until all the vegan cheese has melted.
- Remove from heat. Toss with cooked pasta or steamed broccoli (or both!). You can also drizzle on tacos, nachos, sweet potatoes, russet potatoes, and more!
Thank you for taking the time to invest in your health and happiness!