Looking for a dairy free banana bread recipe that gives you all those timeless feels, without the nonsense? Like, no applesauce, no flaxseed, and no weird flours? Then look no further. Because this banana bread recipe is straight forward, easy to make, and delicious to eat. I’ve served it many times at gatherings and it’s always gone in .5 seconds.
All you really need to get it juuuuust right is 3-4 very ripe mashed bananas, which is easy to do when you literally forgot you’ve had bananas sitting on your counter this week. Oopsie.
For more vegan banana recipes, be sure to check out this list of amazing banana recipes for overripe bananas. You can also check out these vegan chocolate chip banana muffins and this gluten-free banana bread recipe.
Table of contents
This recipe is CLASSIC, meaning that you only need a few easy-to-find ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. Go ahead and double check, I’ll wait…
- All-purpose white flour. I like using unbleached all-purpose flour, such as Bob’s Red Mill brand or King Arthur’s Flour. You can also swap out the white flour for wheat flour if that’s more your speed.
- Brown sugar. I just use organic brown sugar, but you can also use coconut sugar if you wish.
- Granulated sugar (such as organic cane sugar). I highly recommend that you use an organic cane sugar, since standard white sugar is processed with bone char (and is not vegan).
- Baking soda.
- Baking powder.
- Salt. I use Himalayan pink salt, but you can use the salt of your choice.
- Ripe bananas.
- Dairy-free butter, OR nut butter. I like using Earth Balance dairy-free butter, but if you don’t have this, you can swap it out for a nut butter of your choice, such as peanut, cashew, or almond butter. All work just fine.
Tips for making banana bread
After making many, MANY loaves of dairy free banana bread over the years, here are a few tips that I’d like to share with you:
- The riper the bananas, the better. Ripe bananas (that are brown, soft, and have spots) are sweeter, making your banana bread AMAZING. So if you’re craving banana bread, but your bananas aren’t ripe enough, wait a couple days for the ultimate sweet bread.
- Line your pan with parchment paper for easy removal. I always line my bread pan with parchment paper, that way I can slide the bread out and cut into perfect slices. To do this, coat the inside of the pan lightly with oil, and the line with a sheet of parchment. It doesn’t have to cover the entire pan, just enough to prevent the loaf from sticking.
- Check your baking soda. Trust me, this has happened. Be sure your baking soda is FRESH, otherwise your banana bread will not rise properly.
Frequently Asked Questions
Totally! To do this, just swap the all-purpose flour for Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 gluten-free baking flour (the blue bag). You can also try my gluten-free vegan banana bread recipe here.
Yup. Just be sure to defrost your frozen bananas completely, and drain any excess liquid before using.
You absolutely can. Divide batter between muffin cups and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Or try these vegan banana bread muffins.
Good question! Traditional banana bread recipe contain eggs, but in this recipe, I’ve used the powers of baking powder to get the job done. You won’t even taste the difference! For more on egg substitutions in baking, check out this list of vegan alternatives.
How to make banana bread, step-by-step
1. Heat oven to 350° F (176° C). Prepare a bread pan (9x5x3) with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Combine flour, sugars, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Add mashed bananas, dairy-free butter (or nut butter), and water.
3. Using electric beaters, mix until combined well. Batter should be thick.
4. Transfer to bread pan and pop in the oven for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool completely before slicing.
Allergy Information and Substitutions
- This banana bread is 100% vegan, meaning it is dairy-free and egg-free.
- Make it gluten-free by using a 1 to 1 gluten-free flour of your choice.
- Make it nut-free by using vegan butter instead of nut butter.
- Up your banana bread game by adding in ½ cup chopped nuts or dairy-free chocolate chips.
More vegan banana recipes:
- 20 Amazing Vegan Banana Recipes for Ripe and Overripe Bananas
- How to Make Amazing Vegan Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- This Dairy-Free Banana Pudding Will Make You Go Ape
- The BEST Banana Bread EVA (Gluten-Free & Vegan!)
Classic Dairy Free Banana Bread
- 1 ⅔ cups all-purpose, unbleached flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar (such as organic cane sugar)
- 2 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt (I use Himalayan pink salt)
- 1 ½ cups mashed bananas (about 3-4)
- ⅓ cup + 2 tablespoons water
- ⅓ cup softened dairy-free butter OR nut butter
- Heat oven to 350° F (176° C). Prepare a bread pan (9x5x3) with parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine flour, sugars, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Add mashed bananas, dairy-free butter (or nut butter), and water.
- Using electric beaters, mix until combined well. Batter should be thick.
- Transfer to bread pan and pop in the oven for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool completely before slicing.
Thank you for taking the time to invest in your health and happiness!
But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. Matthew 4:4